First of all, let me just write the popular version of the myth and then let us see what is absurd and to what degree.
MYTHOLOGICAL FANTASY :HOW GANESHA GOT HIS ELEPHANT HEAD ?
According to a Puranic tale, once Parvati was alone in the houseand wanted to take bath. So taking the dirt from her body she created a boy and ordered him. “To keep a watch at the door, and don’t allow anybody to enter the palace without my permission. Thus instructing the boy. Mother Parvati went in to take her bath. Meanwhile Lord Shiva too arrived at the scene. He saw a boy sitting at the doorway, but ignoring him he proceeded to enter the palace. At that the boy stood up and stopped Lord Shiva and Said, “My mother has instructed me not to allow anybody to enter the palace without her permission. Hence, I will not let you enter the palace. First tell me who are you? Instead of answering, Lor Shiva asked, who are you? Who is your Mother? As no one was eager to answer first so the dispute grew to the point of a fierce battle. Ultimately cutting the head of the boy, Lord Shiva entered the palace. Seeing Him, Parvati asked surprisingly! “How did you enter? Has nobody stopped you?” At that Lord Shiva asked, “Who was that boy? I have cut his head.
Hearing this, mother Parvati began to cry and said, “He was my own son. Now you give him a new lease of life” Lord Shiva then ordered his Ganas to go out and bring the head of any creature they saw first. It was an elephant that the Ganas found first. So they cut its head and brought it to Lord Shiva. Putting the elephant head at the boy’s torso, Lord Shiva infused a new lease of life in him. Thus, Ganesha got the head of an elephant and came to be known as Gajanana Ganesha one with an elephant head.
Now, let’s see how coherent this story is..
1. why does a goddess need to take bath? How did she get dirty? can Gods also get dirty, gods are supposedly all powerful and stuff, I just can’t grasp the idea that a powerful goddess like Parvati was living in a house (Where is this house? isn’t her house Kailash, whatever that means) and why did she need to go anywhere to take a bath? couldn’t she just become invisible?
2. Why the hell did Parvati create anything from the dirt from her body? If all she wanted was to create someone, why didn’t she just create him from nothing? She created someone so large as to fit an elephants head later on, then one can only guess how much dirt she needed to create him and shows how filthy this lady was… no wonder she needed a bath….
3. Aren’t gods supposed to know past, future and present, then she very well knew her husband Shiva is going to come while she was taking bath and is going to kill her creation, then why the fuck did she even create him?
4. Now coming to Shiva and Ganesha’s fight, why did they even fight? didn’t Shiva know that this poor piece of dirt sitting at the gate was created by his wife and that wife of his was taking bath, how moronic can a story get or a god?
5. Why the hell did Shiva send his ganas to kill a poor animal and get its head? why couldn’t he pick up the severed head and fix it with some (quickfix maybe) of his magic? was he a moron not to use his magic? or was he just another mythical character who was over hyped???????
After all this, he shows extraordinary surgical skills and transplants an elephant’s head on to that poor product of dirt…
What an amazing story… This can only be believed in India..